The Quadracci Pavilion is one of the most significant architectural landmarks in the museum. It was designed by the renowned Spanish architect, Santiago Calatrava, who envisioned the structure as a soaring bird taking flight over Lake Michigan. The building’s innovative design features a moveable sunscreen that opens and closes like wings, providing a unique visual spectacle that visitors can experience for themselves.
European Art Collection
The European Art Collection is one of the most impressive collections in the museum, featuring artwork from the medieval era to the 20th century. The collection includes pieces from renowned artists such as Claude Monet, Vincent van Gogh, and Pablo Picasso. The art pieces are displayed in chronological order, allowing visitors to witness the evolution of art throughout history.
Contemporary Art Collection
The contemporary art collection features artwork from some of the most exciting and innovative artists working today. It is a must-visit for anyone who is passionate about contemporary art. The collection showcases the diversity of the contemporary art scene, with works that explore a range of themes, styles, and techniques.
- It is one of the largest art museums in the country.
- The museum has over 2,500 pieces of American art from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- The collection also includes over 2,000 works of art from Africa and Oceania.
- Art Classes: The Milwaukee Art Museum offers art classes for both adults and children. The classes are designed to provide a hands-on learning experience that allows participants to explore their creativity while also learning about different art techniques.
- Guided Tours: Guided tours are available for visitors who want to learn more about the art collections on display. The tours are led by knowledgeable guides who provide in-depth information about the art pieces and their history.
- Family Activities: The museum offers a range of family-friendly activities that are designed to engage and inspire children of all ages. These activities include art-making workshops, storytime sessions, and interactive exhibits that allow children to explore art in a fun and engaging way.
What to Expect:
Visitors to the Milwaukee Art Museum can expect a world-class museum experience, with a range of exhibits and activities that cater to diverse interests and preferences. In addition to the museum’s top attractions, visitors can explore the museum’s different galleries, including the Art of Africa and Oceania, the Art of the Americas, and the Art of Asia and the Middle East. The museum also has a robust collection of photography, folk art, and contemporary craft.
Plan to Visit:
The best time to visit the Milwaukee Art Museum is during the summer months when the weather is warm and the museum hosts a range of outdoor events and activities. The museum is open daily, except on Mondays and Tuesdays, and the entry fee is $22 for adults, $17 for seniors & students. Entry is free for children under 12. The museum is open from 10 am to 5 pm, except on Thursdays when it stays open until 8 pm.